We are pleased to announce that we are hiring for the next AFJ Annual Awards Competition Manager. Personal referrals can be the best route for finding excellent candidates, so we are enlisting our highly skilled network (ahem, YOU!) to fill this position. This temporary, independent contractor gig is ideal for freelancers who have time in their spring calendar. We would like to fill this role before the new year, so applications are due no later than Friday, December 8th. Keep reading for the full description.
The Association of Food Journalists is a professional organization dedicated to preserving and perpetuating responsible food journalism across media platforms. Annual programming includes the AFJ awards competition, which takes place every late winter/spring.
AFJ is hiring a part-time manager for its annual awards competition, which was started in 1986 and is the oldest still-functioning contest for food journalists.
The awards competition manager will work on a wide range of projects within the scope of the AFJ Awards Competition under the direction of the AFJ awards committee and the AFJ executive director.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Communicating regularly with the committee (two to three times a month, or more as needed) to provide updates on competition status
- Lining up judges, filling in with new ones as needed
- Mailing category packets to judges when necessary
- Receiving electronic entries as they come in and sharing them with the appropriate judges
- Tallying judging results
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying a more streamlined online competition management platform to receive entries from entrants and share submissions with judges
- Reviewing existing competition guidelines and making suggestions for improvement
- Identifying skilled judges and working with the awards committee to formalize the rankings and evaluation criteria
- Some social media support using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other emerging platforms
- Be a recognized self-starter by colleagues.
- Be able to work efficiently and independently.
- Be detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Be knowledgeable and savvy with Microsoft Office and major social media platforms.
- Demonstrate a high level of confidentiality.
This seasonal role will begin in January and run through the end of May. The amount of time spent in this role will vary from approximately five hours a week to up to twenty hours a week during the submission processing period. Based on a successful evaluation at the end of the role, there may be an opportunity to extend the position. The individual who fills this position will not be eligible to enter the awards competition, as he/she will be handling entries and communicating directly with judges.
This is an independent contractor position and does not include benefits. AFJ is offering a flat rate of $2,500.00 that will be paid in three monthly installments beginning in February 2018. Based on a successful evaluation at the end of the role, there is an opportunity to receive a $500 travel stipend to attend the awards ceremony in Phoenix, Arizona in September 2018.
Send a PDF of your cover letter, résumé and examples of your work (including at least two writing samples) as well as three recent references to AFJ executive director Amanda C. Miller no later than Friday, Dec. 8, 2017, email@example.com.